Maine Hockey Journal

Scarborough drops a game below .500 as Falmouth holds on

Scarborough, ME – Falmouth boys’ varsity hockey team took a 2-0 lead in the first period and held on to beat Scarborough, 3-1, Thursday night at the MHG ice arena.

Scarborough did everything they could to overcome the early deficit, but strong defending and some crucial saves from Falmouth senior goaltender Jay Hurdman proved to be too much to overcome.

With the win, Falmouth is back to having a winning record while Scarborough falls one game under the .500 mark with the loss.

Falmouth controlled the first period and it only took them 2:34 to get a puck between the pipes.

Falmouth captain Matt MacDowell made a play on a loose puck from the blueline and ended up skating with it behind the net. He made a pass back to defensive line mate Alden Weller, who walked the puck in and shot a puck through traffic that went block side on Scarborough goalie Doug Pitts.

The Yachtsmen kept offensive possession for the majority of the opening period and limited Scarborough to only two shots to their seven. Falmouth took a 2-0 lead with just under two minutes on a rebound, power play goal from Andre Clement. Scarborough took a penalty for too many men on the ice on what Scarborough coach Norm Gagne deemed a “freshman mistake.”

“We didn’t play a good first period,” he said. “That was the difference in the game I thought. We gave up two goals. The one that hurt the most was the power play goal they got to go up 2-0. That’s just an inexcusable penalty too many men on the ice. It proved to be the game winning goal.”

Scarborough came out energized in the second period and scored their lone goal just over a minute into the second period. Hunter Lynch made a fantastic spinning backhand pass just after he stopped over the blue line to Jordan Bathe streaking towards the net. Bathe broke past the defense and made a clean shot for Hurdman’s only blemish on the night. Scarborough gained momentum with the goal and created a lot of good opportunities that were stymied by Hurdman and his tough defensemen. Falmouth’s effort lacked at times.

“The maturity level of our team needs to get better,” said Falmouth coach Adam Nicholas. “We’re up 2-0 and they feel like they can just sit back. That’s the difference between us and the top teams in the league, we don’t know how to close teams out.”

The third period both teams came out and gave solid efforts. Falmouth scored the final goal, making it a 3-1 game, with 1:04 left. Hugh Grygiel showed tremendous hustle keeping after Scarborough and made a diving play at the puck that pushed it into the net.

Strong defensive efforts from both teams proved to be the underlying story of the game. Falmouth only allowed 14 shots and Scarborough only 15. Scarborough hopes to get back to the .500 mark with a win against Kennebunk Saturday and Falmouth will have their hands full taking on Lewiston the same day.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply