Maine Hockey Journal

Millan backstop Terriers to a tie over Maine

Orono, ME – After a start that gave the impression the game would be a shootout, the game turned into a goaltenders duel as the University of Maine battled Boston University to a 1-1 tie at Alfond Arena on Saturday night.

The story of the night was Terriers’ goaltender Kiernan Millan, who stopped 41 of 42 shots in the game including 19 saves in the first period.

It didn’t look like his night as the Black Bears only needed 21 seconds to get on the board first when Will O’Neill corralled the puck before it left the Terriers’ zone, firing it from just beyond the right circle, beating Millan.

“I just had a lot of time and I was able to collect the puck off the boards and strike it,” said O’Neill. “I was just trying to keep my head down and bury it.”

Near the seven minute mark Alex Chiasson was called for elbowing, sending the Black Bears on a power play chance, but it was Boston University who took advantage.

Maine turned the puck over to Chris Connolly, moving the puck up ice, where he dished off to Joe Pereira, who knocked the puck between the legs of Black Bears goaltender Martin Ouellette as he stretched out to make the save, tying the game at 1-1.

The shorthanded goal was the eight allowed by the Black Bear’s this season.

“I think I played well it was a hard game to play.” Ouellette said. “I wish I could have that goal back, it just touched my glove and went in.”

Despite the game being tied 1-1, Maine held a decisive advantage in shots, 20-2.

In the second period the Terriers began to pressure Ouellette with an early onslaught of shots in the early moments of the period.

Boston University had a prime opportunity to take the lead midway through the second period when Maine defensemen Marc Nemec was called for contact to the head and high sticking. The officials gave Nemec a game misconduct and sent the sophomore packing to the locker room leaving Maine to kill off the five minute major.

Only three minutes into the penalty, Tanner House was called for a hooking penalty to his team down two players.

Maine would kill off the penalty.

In the third period, the Terriers began by getting a little pushy trying to get under the skin of the Black Bear player’s by taunting and pushing after play was already dead. Maine kept their composure and continued to chip away at Millan in net.

The physical play is what dominated the third period with both team’s showing each other that they wouldn’t break first.

The first period goals by both teams would be all that each could manage to find in 60 minutes of regulation sending the game into overtime.

Millan was undoubtedly the saving grace for the Terriers, saving 41 shots that the Black Bears fired his way.

“For a game to start one-to-one in the first seven minutes, and then to end one-to-one, is pretty crazy,” said Maine coach Tim Whitehead.

“That was a fabulous performance by Millan,” said Whitehead. “He made every conceivable save you could make. He made the breakaway save. He made the screen shot saves, the 2-on-1 saves.”

“He made every save one could make in a weekend.”

One might overlook Maine goalkeeper Martin Ouellette after a performance by Millan, but the freshman stood tall, making 19 saves on the night.

“Lost in the shuffle of Millan’s game was Martin Ouellette’s performance,” said Whitehead. “I was very impressed with Marty’s game tonight.”

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply