Maine Hockey Journal

Maine let another get away against BU

Orono, ME – For the second this year, the University of Maine men’s ice hockey team let a lead slip through their finger against Boston University.

Maine surrendered a 3-1 lead as Boston University scored three unanswered goals to take a 4-3 win in front of 4,829 at Alfond Arena in Hockey East action on Friday night.

“We were trying to make plays that maybe we shouldn’t have and, in the end, it cost us,” said Maine forward Spencer Abbott.

The first period started with the Black Bears putting good pressure on the Terriers’ defense and goaltender Kieran Millan. Maine kept the puck in the Terriers’ zone for most of the first period, placing shots on Millan from different angles and really challenging the netminder.

“Millan was exceptional,” said Maine coach Tim Whitehead. “That was no secret and we had some good looks.”

Midway through the period with both sides skating four-on-four, the Corey Trivino received the puck and went streaking down the ice for breakaway chance for Boston Univ. As Trivino was dragging the Black Bear’s defensemen behind him, he found an opening over the blocker of Maine goalie Shawn Sirman to score the go ahead goal.

The outstanding play of Sirman kept the Terriers in check for the rest of the period which allowed the Black Bears to walk into the locker room only down by one.

In the second period, Spencer Abbott found himself alone with the puck in the Terriers’ zone where he launched a bullet from the right circle, beating Millan over the glove at 5:24 to tie the game at 1-1.

Spencer Abbott, and the Black Bears, didn’t waste any time getting their second goal.

Less than 30 seconds later, Abbott found himself in the exact same spot with the puck, this time faking a shot that beat Millan last time, then went to the his wrister to beat Millan again, this time over the left shoulder, to give Maine the 2-1 lead.

David Warsofsky, defensemen for the Terriers, offered his insights after the game regarding Abbott’s two quick goals.

“It was a little daunting at first,” he said. Coach (Jack Parker) called a good timeout and he tried to get us to regroup.”

In the span of no more than 65 seconds, Maine scored their third goal at 6:30 when Tanner House found the loose puck in front of the net and managed to hold onto it while being harassed by a Terriers’ defensemen.

House spun toward the net and let a wicked wrister fly over MIllan’s blocker which elevated the Black Bears to a 3-1 lead midway through the second period.

The Terriers began to climb back into the game when Alex Chiasson shot the puck gingerly toward the net, trickling by Sirman’s outstretched legs into the back of the net to bring the score to 3-2 in favor of the Black Bears.

“We fanned on the puck and it kept sliding and it slid right past me for the goal,” said Sirman.

Only a few moments later, the Terriers got another undisciplined goal as Wade Megan used the confusion in front of the net and was able to squirt the puck through the five-hole of Sirman, tying the game at 3-3.

In the third period of regulation, the Terriers were able to break the tie early on as Boston Univ. top defensemen David Warsofsky drilled the puck over Sirman for the 4-3 lead at the 3:43 mark of the period.

The early goal in the third by Warsofsky wound up being the game winner and the only goal of the period.

“It was a tough loss for us and there were a lot of swings in momentum.” Whitehead said. “If you were to tell me that we would win the special teams and out shoot them like we did, I would have thought we’d have won, but the game can be cruel sometimes.”

The Black Bears will face off against the Terriers again tomorrow night for a chance for redemption after a tough loss.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply