Maine Hockey Journal

Knights quick strike seals the victory over Kennebunk

Biddeford, ME – In what would prove to be an even match up, Noble scored two goals within 13 seconds of each other to take command of the game as they went on for a 5-2 win over Kennebunk on Monday evening at the Biddeford Ice Arena.

The game winner came off a beautiful backhander from Noble’s senior forward Jesse Cotty at 6:17 of the third to put Noble up 3-1.

“Will Rodden was coming up on the left and two guys went to him and I was alone on the right,” Cotty said, “and he just dished it out to me and I was alone and I just shot backhand top of the net, under the crossbar.”

The Knights didn’t waste any time scoring again. Off the face-off, they rushed back into the offensive zone where Grady Wheeler recorded the fourth goal of the game for Noble, assisted by David Sullivan at 6:30, taking the game from a one goal game to a 4-1 advantage in just 13 seconds.

“It was a close game, it was a good game, so those two goals quick really helped us, that was a really big momentum swing in the game,” said Cotty.

Despite several good chances for the Rams, the Knights scored the only goal of the opening period. Rodden caught a pass from the corner from David Sullivan and let off a one-timer past Kadlik for a power play goal at 3:55 of the first.

Noble went up 2-0 in the second when Sullivan added a goal of his own at 9:32. The Rams’ frustration was beginning to show and they looked like they were about to dig themselves in deeper, taking back to back penalties to give Noble a two man advantage for 1:41.

Kennebunk was able to successfully kill off both penalties to gain some momentum.

Just before the second period expired, their efforts would finally pay off as D.J. Robinson netted one with 0.6 seconds left on the clock to send them into the second intermission trailing 2-1.

Noble took a tripping penalty at 2:07 of the third, and coming off the late goal in the second, this looked like it might be the break the Rams needed to finally catch the Knights.

“In the second period, we had the momentum, yet they really took it to us with that goal right at the end of the period,” said Noble head coach Keith St. Cyr. “So going into the third, the last thing I wanted was to start off with a penalty in there, just to give them any momentum. But as much as you can give them momentum with a penalty, if you kill that off, you take that momentum right back, and we did.”

Noble came away from the dangerous shorthanded situation unscathed, and shortly afterwards got their quick two goals to seal the deal.

Trailing 4-1, Kennebunk refused to give up, getting another goal at 10:46 to put them back within reach.

Freshman Ben Bath set up Kyle Merchant with a nice pass in front and Merchant put it home with the one-timer to close the deficit to 4-2.

The Rams caught another break with a late Noble penalty at 12:12 of the third. They pulled their goaltender for the extra attacker with 1:34 to play in the game and skated six-on-four for 46 seconds.

Unfortunately, they were not able to capitalize on the two man advantage and just as Grady Wheeler was coming out of the Knights’ penalty box, David Sullivan cleared the puck out of the zone to him, and he had a wide open shot at the empty net, putting it away at 14:19 for a 5-2 final.

“I just credit Noble for working really hard and playing physical and just getting the job done, being opportunistic and crashing the net and putting the puck away when they had their chances,” said Rams coach Don Hill. “They capitalized on their opportunities and we didn’t. We had several opportunities that we could have put the puck away and just didn’t do it.”

With tonight’s victory, the Knights improve to 7-1 on the season while the Rams fall to 4-7.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply