Maine Hockey Journal

Falmouth sails past Bulldogs

Portland, ME – After falling behind early in the game, the Falmouth Yachtsmen came back with three straight goals in the second period, and earned the 5-2 win against the Portland Bulldogs at the Portland Ice Arena Saturday night.

Portland began the night with a well played first frame, netting a goal and taking it to the bodies of the Yachtsmen. Portland’s physical play deterred Falmouth from gaining control of the puck, as well as entering the Bulldogs zone.

Bulldogs forward Eddie Apon scored the night’s first goal, taking the puck by himself and across the blue line. Skating down the left side of the ice Apon fired a wrist shot that found its way past the lower blocker of Falmouth goalie Jay Hurdman.

“We had a slow period,” Falmouth Head Coach Adam Nicholas said. “We’ve got to get mature and know how to come to a rink and prepare for a battle and prepare for the game and know how to go to work right off the bat. That’s one thing we’ve struggled with is the balance of when play time is and when it’s time to get serious and bear down and play our game and play our systems.”

The Yachtsmen were robbed of a goal late in the period as Portland goaltender Jon Gatti used his glove to perfection, taking away an outstanding shot from within close.

Falmouth regained its composure during a second period onslaught which featured three goals in the first half of the period, including two within seconds of the other.

“They scored off one of their five shots, and that happens,” Nicholas said. “We just came into the locker room and I looked them all in the eye and said ‘are we ever going to bear down and finally come out and actually do what we’re capable of doing.”

Falmouth defenseman Matt MacDowell tied the game up initially, getting off a well executed wrist shot from the right circle past Gatti’s blocker. Forwards Kris Samaras and Cam Bell received credit for the assists on the play.

After a stalemate in scoring, Falmouth was able to get past the Bulldogs on the scoreboard, a place they would never look back from.

Forward Brandon Tuttle’s wrist shot from the point gave the Yachtsmen the 2-1 lead, and a few seconds later Samaras’ score put Falmouth in the driver’s seat for the rest of the game.

The Bulldogs were able to muster a goal midway through the second period as forward Bronson Guimond found himself in the right place off a rebounded shot. Hurdman was out of position from the initial shot from forward Zach Luce who was given the assist on the play.

Falmouth crushed any hope of a Portland comeback during a near perfectly executed third period, which saw the Yachtsmen skate faultlessly, shoot strong, hold possession of the puck, and severely limit the Bulldogs ability to hold the puck.

We played really good in that third period,” Nicholas said. “They got one or two shots that whole period. That’s how we should play every game from the drop of the puck. We’re not a finesse team that’s just going to go end to end. We just got to play simple, finish our checks and play Yachtsmen hockey.”

Samaras put Falmouth up 4-2 with five minutes gone in the third period, getting help from Bell and Kris’ sibling Nick Samaras in the process.

Portland’s glimmer of hope faded after its five-on-three advantage was killed by Falmouth with less than two minutes remaining in the game. Falmouth forward Mitchell Tapley made the Bulldogs pay for taking out its goalie for a man advantage, finishing off the scoring for the night, and giving the Yachtsmen the 5-2 victory.

Falmouth defenseman Jack Pike was also given recognition for an assist during the night’s affair.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply