Maine Hockey Journal

Maine takes big step forward with win over Boston College

Orono, ME – The University of Maine men’s ice hockey team had a chance Sunday night in front a full Alfond Arena, to prove that their season is not in doubt but, in fact, still very much alive and they pulled through with flying colors as Maine skated away with a dominating win over the No. 3 team in the nation, Boston College, by the score of 4-1.

Maine received contributions from Brian Flynn, Tanner House, Jeff Dimmen and Gustav Nyquist in earning their first win of the season against the Eagles.

The last time these two teams met, it ended in 4-0 and 4-1 victories for Boston College.

“We got a lot of hard work from everyone tonight, from our goaltending to our defenseman and our forwards,” said Joey Diamond.

“It was a huge weekend and we came away with two wins,” Nyquist said on wins against B.C. and Providence.

A penalty by the Eagles midway through the first period allowed Maine to strike first while on the power play.

Maine forward Joey Diamond, who in Friday’s game against Providence, converted a one-timer from a pass by Brian Flynn, beating Eagles netminder John Muse stick side to give Black Bears a 1-0 lead at 15:27 of the period.

“(Brian) Flynn made a great pass to me and I was just wide open,” said Diamond. “I was probably more excited than the rest of the guys and that’s just because I didn’t get to play on Friday night.”

Maine kept their momentum and only four minutes after scoring their first goal, struck again as Diamond once again found the puck, dishing it from behind the net to a wide open Tanner House, who scored the second goal of the night.

With the goal Diamond picked up his second point of the night and the team extended its lead to 2-0, after 20 minutes of play.

It only took 33 seconds into the second period for the Black Bears to get their third goal of the game when Flynn snapped the puck over the blocker of John Muse to bring the Maine lead to 3-0.

“I just tried to fake a shot, said Flynn, “open up the defenders legs a little bit, and shoot it through the screen.”

At 4:47, Jeff Dimmen took a pass from Flynn and launched a rocket on net, beating Muse to give Maine a commanding 4-0 lead, and send Muse to the bench in exchange for sophomore back-up goalie Parker Milner.

The Eagles received a chance to climb back into the game late in the second period with a penalty shot after Maine’s Matt Mangene was called for a delay of game penalty, but goaltender Shawn Sirman would come up huge stopping the wrist shot with his glove.

The shutout bid for Sirman ended early in the final period on a goal by Cam Atkinson at 5:36 as the sophomore goalie made 25 saves on the evening.

“It was a remarkable performance with (Sirman) not being in net for so long,” said Maine coach Tim Whitehead. “I was really impressed and really proud of him.”

With this loss against Maine, the Eagles fall to 15-6-0 in their overall standings and 11-5-0 in the Hockey East.

Maine’s much needed win bring them to 11-6-4 overall and 8-4-2 in the Hockey East.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply