Maine Hockey Journal

Tigers claw past Waterville

Biddeford, ME – The Biddeford Tigers Varsity Boys team handed the Waterville Purple Panthers a tough 8-0 loss tonight on home ice at the Biddeford Ice Arena, snapping a six game winning streak for the Panthers.

Senior Captain Tyler Audie lead the offensive onslaught for the Tigers, earning a hat trick before the first period was over. Junior goaltender Tyler Morton recorded his second shutout of the season in tonight’s victory.

Biddeford jumped all over Waterville in the opening period, allowing few shots against and keeping the play to their offensive zone for most of the period.

Scott Callahan got the first Biddeford goal, unassisted on the power play at 3:02.

Audie’s first of the game came shortly after at the 5:50 mark, assisted by Bryan Dallaire and Eric Grover.

Travis Guay put home a rebound at 8:55 to give the Tigers a 3-0 advantage.

Audie then deflected a shot from the blue line by Brady Fleurent to earn his second goal at 9:23, followed by a late goal at 14:11, assisted by freshman Corey Brown, to send him into the first intermission with a hat trick and the Tigers with a comfortable 5-0 lead.

“That was the first hat trick of my career,” said Audie “so it was kind of ironic that it all came in one period, but I’ll take it. I’m just glad we got the win tonight – that was a big win for us.”
For Waterville, the 5-0 deficit after the first period was too much to recover from.

“We dug ourselves in a hole,” said Panthers coach Dennis Martin. “We gave a few bad ones early. We kept fighting back. The kids – their effort was there for the whole game, it’s just, you get yourself in that deep a hole and then you gotta climb out.”

Although the scoring slowed down a little bit for Biddeford in the second and third periods, they were not about to let Waterville climb out of the hole. The Tigers defensive play was very tough, allowing few shots through to Morton and they continued to control the puck and keep the play primarily to their offensive zone.

Biddeford scored a couple of goals early in the second period, with Brady Fleurent gaining a loose puck from behind the net and roofing it over Panthers’ goaltender Dakota Gendreau at 1:26. Shortly after, sophomore Nate Crepeau slid a backhander through Gendreau’s five-hole at 3:46 to put the Tigers up 7-0 after two periods.

Corey Brown added the final goal of the game at 1:09 of the third, assisted by Callahan, to put the Tigers at 8-0.

Although Biddeford goaltender Tyler Morton didn’t see much action throughout the course of the game, the Tigers went shorthanded in the closing minutes of the third period and Waterville was finally able to get some good scoring chances, making him work to hold on to the shutout.

“I was getting a little scared at the end there,” said Morton. “The puck was in the zone for a little bit, but I knew my defense would come through, I had confidence in them. I don’t think I saw as many shots as the first shutout, but a shutout’s a shutout, a game’s a game. I’m glad that we can pull another one out, pull off another win.”

Tonight’s victory is the fourth in a row for the defending State Champs as the Biddeford Tigers improve to 5-0-2 on the season.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply