Maine Hockey Journal

Biddeford sink Yachtsmen early and often

Falmouth, ME – In a game that was at times heated, Biddeford scored a pair of power play goals en route to a 6-1 win over Falmouth in Class A boys’ action on Thursday night.

They were probably upset because of the late start of the game. The game originally scheduled for an 8:30 pm start didn’t see puck drop until shortly after 9pm because of earlier games running late.

Biddeford (4-0-2) led 3-0 after the first period despite the early hustle of Yachtsmen, who outshot the Tigers 27-24 in the contest, but it was the penalty trouble that eventually sunk Falmouth’s hopes of winning.

Less than 20 seconds after Falmouth (1-3-2) was whistled for too many men on the ice, Scott Callahan banked a shot off the crossbar to give the Tigers a 1-0 lead.

Only 10 seconds later, with Falmouth looking for the big hit, Brady Fleurent dished a backhander by Jay Hurdman at the 6:17 mark of the first period.

With 2:35 left in the game, just as a power play expired for Biddeford Nick Gagne collected a shot that careened off the post in front of him, and deposited the rebound into the back of the net.

“They were all over us the first two or three shifts,” said Biddeford head coach Rich Reissfelder. “Then we were able to get control of the puck and calm down a bit. We buried a goal which always helps.”

“Buried three in the first, then kind of carried it from there.”

Falmouth had an opportunity late in the first with a five-on-three that carried over into the first minute of the second period.

Bryan Dallaire made it 4-0 at the 5:44 mark of the second period when he roofed a shot from the high-slot, beating Hurdman.

At 8:33, Travis Guay trapped the rebound in front to extend the Tigers lead to 5-0.

That signaled the end of the night for Hurdman in favor of Dane Pauls.

At that point, the game began to get rather chippy, with Biddeford getting the majority of penalties in game as Falmouth went 1-for-10 on the night.

Their lone goal of the night came on yet another two-man advantage as Yachtsmen captain Matt MacDowell wired a wrist shot that rang off the left side post and crossbar just 30 seconds into the start of the third period.

Biddeford capped off the scoring at 4:56 of the period on a Fleurent’s second of the game, giving the Tigers a 6-1 lead.

Jon Fields made 26 saves in net for Biddeford for the win, while Hurdman stopped 11-of-16 shots on the night.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply