Maine Hockey Journal

Maineiacs can’t catch a break at home

Lewiston, ME – The Lewiston Maineiacs played a solid game, even in the eye’s of their coach, but it didn’t matter as they fell, 3-1, to the Acadie-Bathurst Titan in front of 1,748 at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee.

The Maineiacs controlled much of the first 40 minutes of the game, but could only muster a single goal.

The lone goal opened the scoring of the game with 4:03 to play in the first period as Sam Carrier picked up Jess Tanguy’s rebound, catching Titan goalie Robert Steeves out of position, before firing the shot into an empty-net for his first goal since his return from the Washington Capitals training camp.

“We controlled the puck and the boards, in the second period especially, but we couldn’t find the back of the net,” said Maineiacs head coach JF Houle. “We have to find a way to win. It doesn’t matter how, we didn’t win tonight. We lost. We didn’t get the two points.”

Carrier was one of several players back with the Maineiacs after spending time at their respective NHL training camps.

Pierre-Olivier Morin, Nicholas Champion, Sam Finn, Matthew Bissonnette and Michael Chaput, who assisted on Carrier’s goal with the initial shot on goal, were all back in the lineup for the Maineiacs.

“They were fine,” said Houle. “They all played well. They added a lot of shots on net. I thought the power play was good in the first.”

Despite outshooting Bathurst 13-4 in the second period, the Titan took the lead after 40 minutes of play.

The Titan got the board when one-time Maineiac Sebastian Trudeau tipped the shot over netminder Nicholas Champion at 1:55 of the period.

Trudeau played 37 games for the Maineiacs last season before being traded to Acadie-Bathurst.

At 14:22, Jonathan Lessard scored for Bathurst with a blast from the right side that beat Champion over his glove, giving the Titan a 2-1 lead.

With the Maineiacs killing off a penalty from Stephan Fournier, it only took Trudeau 18-seconds to connect on a pass from Olivier Hotte for his second goal of the game at 3:15 of the third period.

After maintaining control for the majority of the second period, Lewiston’s discipline became an issue taking three straight penalties in first 10 minutes of the final stanza.

“I wasn’t happy with (the discipline),” Houle said. “A lot of them were hardworking penalties, but we need to deal with that and play with a little more discipline and move our feet.”

NOTES: The Maineiacs lost Matthew Bissonnette after his first shift of the game because of an injury. Houle didn’t disclose the injury, but noted that Bissonnette will be out for an extended period. Jonah Coonishish-Coon was out of the lineup due to illness as was Christophe Lalonde, who is serving the final game of his five-game suspension for a check from behind in Moncton. Ian Saab was a healthy scratch.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply