Maine Hockey Journal

Maineiacs newest defenseman eagar to make solid first impression

When playing competitive sports, young talent is nothing short of impressive; but the word impressive doesn’t even begin to describe Lewiston Maineiacs newest defenseman, Dillon Fournier.

The 16-year old Quebec native was the Maineiacs’ first round draft pick (#1 overall) in this year’s QMJHL draft. His dedicated career in hockey began at the age of four and started competitively at eight years old, continuing through high school where he played for the Lac St-Louis Lions, and now for the Maineiacs.

According to a public poll, the Lewiston Maineiacs website, the highest percentage, 28.2%, (the remaining 71.8% is divided amongst six other players) of the voting population is most interested to see Dillon Fournier’s future in training camp.

“I don’t want to let anyone down,” Dillon replies when those figures are mentioned. “I’m going to go out there and try as hard as I can.”

“I’m working hard [to make the team].”

Fournier’s hard work was definitely prevalent at the start of training camp on Thursday morning at the Colisee. At 6’1, 160-pounds, his lean frame is easily visible next to his teammates; he has outstanding agility and speed that allows him to glide from one end of the rink to the other with ease.

Although he’s never played with most of the Maineiacs hockey players, he will have at least one familiar face in the locker room, skating alongside his brother, Stefan Fournier.

“I’m really excited,” he said. “We’ve been talking about this for years so it will be a lot of fun. It’s great to be able to play with (Stefan) on a professional level.”

With Fournier’s mind set of working hard, trying his best, and having fun, which is exactly what hockey is all about, and his athletic ability Lewiston’s newest defenseman’s season will, too, be nothing short of impressive.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply