Maine Hockey Journal

Biddeford is back to Western Class A Finals

Lewiston, ME – South Portland High School gave Biddeford a test on Saturday night.

However, Biddeford was too strong, prevailing 7-2 in the first Class A Western Semi final of the night.

I am very impressed with South Portland,” said Biddeford head coach Rich Reissfelder. The physicality they played with and they did a very good job.”

It was the Fleurent show in the first period as Trevor and Brady combined for six points in the first 20 minutes.

Trevor made it 1-0 only 19 seconds into the game with his younger brother picking up the assist.

“We just know where each other are at all times,” said Brady Fleurent about the chemistry with his brother Trevor.”

The duo struck again this time on the power play at 5:51 of the first period with Trevor getting his second goal of the game. Craig Anton also notched a point on the goal.

“Our guys have a lot of heart and they love hockey,” said South Portland head coach Joseph Robinson.

“They were very excited to be here.”

With less than two minutes in the opening stanza, Scott Callahan made it 3-0 for the Tigers as they scored while on the man advantage.

“We moved the puck crisply and everything with on the tape,” said Reissfelder. “There was a lot of traffic and (the shot) was tipped.”

Biddeford ended the night 2-for-5 on the man advantage, while South Portland went 0-for-2.

“When we had our power play chances we didn’t get anything done, and they’re a great penalty kill,” Robinson added.

With 1:08 remaining in the frame, Brady Fleurent found the back of the net with his brother setting the goal up.

“Trevor won the face-off and I poked it in,” said Brady Fleurent. “I was at the right place.”

South Portland cut into Biddeford’s lead with Robert Hannigan’s goal with 5:29 left to play in the second period

Brady Fleurent tallied his second goal of the game with 1:48 to play in the middle frame as Anton picked up the lone assist.

“When we got that fifth goal, I felt pretty good because (South Portland) out played us for a large chunk of the second period,” said Reissfelder. “I thought it would calm us down, but it didn’t.”

The Red Riots came out in the third with a goal only 16 seconds in as Neil Maietta barely got the puck past Biddeford goalie Matt Roy.

“They were getting tired at the end with a lot of icings,” said Robinson. “In the first we were a little too excited and we forgot some things. There was a four minute lull there that really hurt us. After that, in the second-third period it was 3-2.”

“They are hard working team and they never quit,” said Trevor Fleurent.

The Tigers added two late goals from Derek Reny and Nick Gagne

Roy made 26 saves in the victory and Dominic Desjardins, turned aside 22 shots.

“He came up big and he’s just a sophomore,” said Robinson about Desjardins. “We are looking good for the future.”

Biddeford will face Thornton Academy, who won their semifinal game 4-1, in the Western Maine Class A Final on Tuesday.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply