Maine Hockey Journal

St. Dom’s set for rematch against Waterville

Lewiston, ME – St. Dominic’s Regional High School head coach Steve Ouellette had a hunch, and it paid off.

He started Shayne Curtis in net, and Curtis stopped all 29 shots he faced in the 2-0 victory over Lewiston High School at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee in the second of the Class A Boys’ Eastern Semifinal.

St. Dom’s will play Waterville in a rematch of last year’s contest.

“We have two goalies with very similar stats wise, but the last time we played Lewiston Josh Charest played a great game, the game of his life. I really felt they would key in shooting high,” Ouellette said.

Curtis’ playoff experience also played a part of the decision to start him, but if he had to play Charest he would have.

“Josh has played some big games, he had some great games against Thornton (Academy) and obviously Lewiston,” Ouellette added. “I am not sure which one I could ride a five-six game stretch.”

Lewiston had little to second guess about in their approach.

“The only thing we could have done differently was to put the puck in the net,” said Lewiston High School head coach Jamie Belleau. “Normally when a team puts up two goals against us, we usually have a chance to win.”

Saints goalie Shayne Curtis saw everything except for the kitchen sink in the first period, and held his ground to keep the Blue Devils from gaining the momentum.

“I was a little nervous, Lewiston is a good team,” said Curtis. “Getting that first goal was huge.”

Alex Parker gave St. Dom’s the 1-0 lead 4:35 into the game as he beat Lewiston goalie Cam Poussard.

“There was a lot of traffic on front and I tried to get it on net,” said Alex Parker.

“It was a turnover and good team’s makes you pay for them,” said Belleau. “It happens it was my nephew. He’s a good player and good for him.”

St. Dom’s went up 2-0 when Spencer Martin lifted the puck past Poussard who was sprawled on the ice.

“Especially our second (goal), which was off second effort,” Ouellette said.

Poussard made nine saves in the losing effort.

In the final period the Blue Devils outshot the Saints 8-0, but Curtis held onto the shutout. Lewiston’s best chance came under a minute left in the game as the puck straddled the red line.

“I definitely thanked my teammates after,” laughed Curtis about Lewiston’s last scoring chance.

Saints were 0-for-5 on the power play and the Blue Devils were 0-for-3.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply