Maine Hockey Journal

UMass-Lowell earns split with Black Bears

Orono, ME – The University of Maine Black Bears knew it would be tough Saturday night to score goals against the University of Massachusetts-Lowell River Hawks. UMass-Lowell goaltender Carter Hutton made 23 saves in the 4-2 victory over the Black Bears in front of 4,691 fans at Alfond Arena.

“This is more what we expected last night, a tight scoring game, and both goalies playing well” said Maine Head Coach Tim Whitehead. “They earned the victory.”

“I thought (Hutton) deserved a better fate last night.”

“It was a matter who was going to capitalize on their opportunities and who was going to get the big save when they needed it,” said River Hawks Head Coach Blaise MacDonald. “Fortunately for us, we were on the right side of things.”

The loss drops Maine 15-12-3 overall and 12-9-2 in Hockey East play. UMass-Lowell improves to 16-14-2 and 10-11-2 in league play.

“We got what we deserved tonight,” said Gustav Nyquist. “(They) worked harder and we didn’t work as hard as we did last night.”
Jeff Dimmen found the back of the net on Maine’s third power play, giving them a 1-0 lead when his shot knuckled past Hutton with 7:47 remaining in the first period.

“I didn’t get all of it,” said Jeff Dimmen. “It was trickling in there and it hit off one of their guy’s skate – it went five-hole.

“I didn’t see too much,” laughed Hutton. “It was a shot from the point; I see the guy wind up for the shot, I was down and the puck deflected – I didn’t see it.”

Maine goaltender Scott Darling made a key save with 5:40 to play in the first period, but six seconds later, Colin Wright found the back of the net to tie the contest up on the man advantage.

“That’s what you have to do against good teams,” MacDonald said about completing their chances.

Darling made 24 saves in the loss.

Black Bears were 1-for-5 on the power play and the River Hawks went 1-for-4 on the man advantage.

When it appeared the teams would go into the dressing room tied after two periods, but Riley Wetmore notched his sixth goal of the season with 19 seconds remaining in the stanza to make it 2-1.

“We got pucks in deep and we forechecked really well,” said Hutton. “We pinned them in their zone for a while.”

UMass-Lowell continued going to the net in the third period as Kory Falite made it 3-1 only 1:40 into the third period.

“I play well against (Maine),” said Falite. “The first (goal) came right to me and I batted it in.”

Brian Flynn recorded the Black Bears second goal at 8:41 of the third period as he blasted the puck by Hutton.

“The crowd got loud in the third (period),” said Kory Falite. “It was a much needed win for us.”

Falite put UMass-Lowell back up by two with his second goal of the game with 6:27 remaining in the contest.

“Kory Falite played terrific getting those two big goals for us and getting the monkey off his back,” said MacDonald.

Notes: Before the game, Maine received a commitment from Jon Swavely, a forward from the New Jersey Hitmen of the EJHL. He currently the second leading scorer in the EJHL 25 goals and 40 assists.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply