Maine Hockey Journal

Maineiacs open 2010 with a victory

Lewiston, ME – The Lewiston Maineiacs started 2010 off on the right foot as they defeated the Shawinigan Catarctes 5-4 in front of 1,486 fans at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee.

“We came out strong and I thought the first period was our best period,” said Lewiston Maineiacs’ head coach Jean-Francois Houle. “We found a way to win.”

Antoine Hudon-Caron took advantage of a rookie mistake by Zach Shannon. Shannon lost the puck at the top of the point on the powerplay and Hudon-Caron was off to the races to give the Cataractes the 1-0 lead at the 12:54 mark into the game.

Pierre-Oliver Morin and Oskar Orrpars responded for the Maineiacs. Morin crashed the net as the puck arrived in the crease area and bounced in off Morin’s sweater nearly three minutes after Shawinigan scored. Michael Chaput and Etienne Brodeur set the goal up.

“The coach always says to drive net and some things will happen,” said Pierre-Olivier Morin. “I put my stick (down) and I think it hit the (defenseman) and went in.”

Oskar Orrpars ended a 0-for-22 streak for the Maineiacs on the powerplay as let a shot go from the top of the left circle for his first career Quebec Major Junior Hockey League goal. Assists went to newly acquired Jess Tanguay and Pierre-Olivier Morin.

“Defensively we gave up too man odd man rushes,” said Shawinigan Head Coach Eric Vellieux. “We knew they were playing like that. We knew they stretched the play and our defensemen I thought were very bad the first two periods.”

Michael Chaput gave the Maineiacs the 3-1 lead as he roofed the puck past Gabriel Girard on the powerplay with 5:08 to play in the second period. Alexander Beaton and Billy Lacasse set the second powerplay marker up.

The Maineiacs ended the night 2-for-8 on the powerplay and the Catarctes were 0-for-3.

“We need to work on our special teams; we scored two powerplay goals, but we also gave up two (shorthanded goals),” Houle added. “That’s unacceptable.”

Shawinigan went into the dressing room down by one as Charles-Olivier Roussel pinched in from his defensive position and tapped home the pick with 1:47 to play in the period. Dave Labrecque and Olivier Ouellet were credited with the helpers.

“We didn’t play very good in the second period,” said Houle. “Shawinigan was allover us, but we weathered the storm.”

Shawinigan had one great chance in the second where they had a 3-on-0, but couldn’t get a shot off.

“That’s a time to make a big save, but they didn’t shoot (the puck),” said Maineiacs goaltender Adrien Lemay.

The Catarctes tied the contest up while shorthanded when Olivier Ouellette notched his ninth of the year at the 5:28 mark of the final frame. Tommy Tremblay picked up the lone assist on the goal.

“We had very good scoring chances lately,” said Veilleux. “Lately it seems like we’ve been facing a hot goalie.”

The Maineiacs restored their two goal lead when Michael Chaput caught the puck in the slot where he settled the puck down and had an open net to shoot at. Samuel Carrier picked up the assist at the 6:43 mark.

Etienne Brodeur set-up Lewiston’s fifth goal as he stole the puck in Lewiston’s end, where he dished the puck Pierre-Olivier Morin on a 2-on-1 and Morin snapped it home just before the halfway mark of the third period.

Shawinigan responded with their own breakaway goal with 8:19 remaining as David Lebrecque hit Phillipe Paradis with a homerun pass.

Adrien Lemay made 36 saves while Gabriel Girard turned aside 32 shots.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply