Maine Hockey Journal

Maineiacs salvage a point after giving up two goal lead

The eight hour bus ride from Chicoutimi back to Lewiston won’t be an enjoyable one for the Maineiacs after giving up a two-goal lead in the third period, losing 4-3, in a shootout to the Chicoutimi Sagueneens in front of 2,981 at the Centre Georges-Vezina on Saturday evening.

“We played hard, we just didn’t get the job done,” said Maineiacs head coach Don MacAdam. “A couple of guys that had four breakaways tonight, this is getting old but we had two last night – we have no goals to show for it.”

Chicoutimi grabbed the 1-0 lead with 9:17 remaining in the opening period when Maximilien Chevrier scored his second goal of the year, sliding it under Maineiacs goalie Adrien Lemay’s pads.

The Sagueneens came into Saturday’s action as the least penalized team in the QMJHL, but when penalized the Maineiacs took advantage on the powerplay. Matt Boyle fired a shot from the point, deflecting off Alexander Beaton’s skate past goalie Robin Gusse to tie the game at 1-1.

“Both (Samuel) Carrier and (Matt) Boyle were excellent for us on the back end,” stated MacAdam.

Michael Chaput gave Lewiston the 2-1 lead at 4:13 of the second period.

With 6:20 remaining in the second period, Mathieu Gingras snapped the puck from the left hash mark which found the back of the net. It was his first goal in a Maineiacs’ sweater.

MacAdam believes Lewiston is most successful when they activate their offense.

“We shot the puck,” MacAdam mentioned. “It’s one thing we talked about last night with Drummondville, they shoot the puck. (Michael) Chaput had a great shot and (Mathieu) Gingras came down the wall and shot the puck. Both were great shots.”

Only 19 seconds into the Sagueneens’ third powerplay of the game, Dominic Jalbert, pulled Chicoutimi back within one at 5:05 of the third period. It was Chicoutimi’s first powerplay goal in 21 chances against Lewiston this season.

The Sagueneens kept the pressure coming and they were able to solve Adrien Lemay for the second time in the period with 2:54 to play in the game as Antoine Roussel found the twine for his 10th goal of the season.

MacAdam said the players who saw the ice in the third gave everything they had.

“We salvaged a point because the guys that were playing in the third; gave us a chance to win. We didn’t play everyone in the third.”

Steve Lebel got the lone shootout goal to give the Sagueneens the victory. Michael Chaput had a chance to extend the shootout for the Maineiacs.

“In the shootout, we had three guys go and only one guy hit the net,” said a frustrated MacAdam.

Adrien Lemay made 32 saves in the loss and Robin Gusse made 34 saves for his fifth win of the season.

Both teams were 1-for-4 on the powerplay.

NOTES: The team called up defenseman Mathieu Brisebois from Shrebrooke of the Quebec Junior AAA league. He had six goals and four assists in 20 games.

“He looked fine,” said MacAdam. “He moved the puck well and he skated well.”

Brisebois will rejoin Shrebrooke but expect him to get a call-up during the season.

“I would be surprised if we didn’t.”

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply