Maine Hockey Journal

Southern Maine and Bowdoin battle to a tie

Brunswick, ME – The University of Southern Maine men’s ice hockey team battled Bowdoin College for 65 minutes, but time ran out as the game ended in a 6-6 tie at Sid Watson Arena on Saturday afternoon.

Bowdoin built a 2-0 lead in the first period on goals by Colin MacCormack and Kyle Shearer-Hardy.

MacCormack picked off a turnover from Huskies’ defenseman Eric Morgani at Bowdoin’s blueline, snapping a quick shot on goal by Southern Maine goalie Jamie Gilbert.

At 17:11, Shearer-Hardy made it 2-0 when he finished off a 2-on-1, beating Gilbert with a wrist shot over his glove.

“We’re just trying to battle and play hard,” said Southern Maine coach Jeff Beaney. “We’ve got to walk the line of playing with emotion and not walking over it, and then there is the stupid (penalties).”

In the second period, Southern Maine scored four goals to take a 4-3 lead after 40 minutes of play.

Dan Falbo would head to the box at 3:53 of the second period, giving Bowdoin another power play. With 1:17 left, Southern Maine cut the Polar Bears’ lead, 2-1, as Kyle Smith scored a shorthanded goal on a breakaway at 4:36 of the period, sliding a forehand shot by Bowdoin goaltender Richard Nerland.

At 10:32, Southern Maine’s special teams once again came through as they tied the game, 2-2, as Zach Joy scored the first of his two goals on the night, taking a feed from Eric Graham, putting a quick shot past Nerland from in front of the net.

Less than two minutes later, the Huskies took their first lead of the game on a goal from Chris Travis.

Travis, who scored a hat trick the night before at Colby, raced down the right wing before being taken out of the play by a Bowdoin player. As he was falling, he threw the puck on net that managed to find an opening between the post and Nerland’s leg pad, giving USM a 3-2 lead at 12:11 of the period.

USM goalie Jamie Gilbert back in goal for his second straight game since returning to the lineup, was called for a 10-minute misconduct at 14:26 of the period after the team was given a bench minor for disputing a play.

Gilbert having to serve his own misconduct penalty forced USM to put backup Mason St. Hilaire in net.

Bowdoin tied the game, 3-3, as Kyle Hanson blasted a shot from the high slot, beating St. Hilaire under the crossbar at 16:17 of the second period.

Penalties were once again a factor in the game as Bowdoin took back-to-back penalties in the final two minutes of the period, giving Southern Maine a five-on-three for 58 seconds.

With 10.4 seconds left, Chris Travis scored his second goal of the night off the face off, giving the Huskies a 4-3 lead. Travis has five goals in the last two games.

“It’s my responsibility to have the bench alert and clear,” said Bowdoin coach Terry Meagher. “That goal is on me for not having the players in the right place.”

Southern Maine made it a 5-3 lead at 9:27 of the third period as Zach Joy found the puck in a scrum at the top of net, slipping it past Nerland.

Bowdoin scored on a five-on-three of their own as Dan Gordon and Mike Carpenter went off for minor penalties only 30 seconds apart in the period.

Only 20 seconds later, Brendan Reich took the feed from Graham Sisson, behind the net, and drilled the puck by Gilbert, who was back in the net after serving his misconduct penalty at 10:17 of the third period.

Still on the power play, Mike Corbelle ripped a slap shot that was labeled for the upper-right corner only 16 seconds later at 10.33 to tie the game at 5-5.

Southern Maine regained the lead, 6-5, just a short time later as Dan Gordon scored his 12th goal of the season with a wrist shot over the block of Nerland at 12:35 of the third period.

Junior forward Pat Noonan gave Bowdoin a power play with 1:59 left in the game after being called for a high-stick deep in the offensive zone.

“It was a very undisciplined penalty in the offensive zone when we didn’t need to do anything,” Beaney said. “That opened the door for them, other than that we would have won that game.”

Bowdoin made USM pay, tying the game, 6-6, just 30 seconds later as Mike Corbelle scored his second of the night with a hard low shot, beating Gilbert through traffic at 18.31.

Both teams skated though the overtime scoreless, despite having several chances including Bowdoin with a power play at the end of regulation that extended 1:22 into the overtime period.

Bowdoin, with the win, picked up points in back-to-back games for the first time since the beginning of December.

Southern Maine, who is fighting for an ECAC East playoff spot, has earned five-of-eight points in their last three games as they battle with Skidmore and Castleton.

“All the games are fun to play at this time of year,” said Beaney.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply