Maine Hockey Journal

Brewer Storms off with a win

Brewer, ME– In a inter-conference match up, the Scarborough Red Storm faced off against the Brewer Witches at the Penobscot Ice Arena. The Witches came up away with the 5-3victory. Brewer Head Coach Bill Schwarz thinks both East and West are strong.

“I think Class A Hockey is pretty even this season. We’ve seen Falmouth, we‘ve seen Biddeford, and now we seen Scarborough. We got St. Dom’s next Saturday. The only loss we got is to Waterville and they are in the East,” said Bill Schwarz.

Ryan Nadeau had a hat trick and an assist to lead Brewer. He got the scoring started at the 1:50 mark of the first. He threw the puck on the net and found a hole.

“I saw two of our forwards crashing the net. So the puck cradle up the boards and threw it right toward the front hoping for a tip. It hit off their defenseman into the net,” said Brewer forward Ryan Nadeau.

Nick Risser would give the Witches the 2-0 lead with 9:48 remaining. Ryan Nadeau and Dylan Fitzpatrick tallied the assists. The Red Storm would take control the rest of the period as they had a couple of 5 on 3 powerplays.

“We started out good but we taking penalties. We can’t play with three of our first four defensemen in the penalty box,” said Schwarz.

Jake Rutt would score his first of the night with 4:31 remaining. Andrew Nigro got the lone assist. It was Scarborough’s only goal on the extended powerplay.

“We didn’t capitalize on our opportunities,” said Scarborough co-Head Coach Norm Gagne on the multiple 5 on 3’s. “We were hoping we would do a little better.”

The Red Storm would get one last opportunity when Neil Ravin broke into the zone and crashed into Eric White.

Scarborough would tie the game 3:56 into the second when Jordan Bathe found the back of the net. Rutt picked up the lone assist Scarborough would take the lead on a goal by Rutt. He snapped one past Eric White top shelf with 8:51 remaining in the second. Bathe and Hunter would grab the helpers.

Nadeau would tie the game up 54 seconds later. Steve Farley and Dylan Fitzpatrick set the goal up.

“It was a shot from Dylan Fitzpatrick and the goalie kicked had saved it to the right side. Luckily I was there for a backhander,” said Nadeau.

Dylan Fitzpatrick went to the box with 2:21 left in the second. The Red Storm had a great chance but White came up big with a big save.

“I knew there was a guy back door so I was being aware of that. When I saw the pass go across, I knew that kid was ready to shoot,” said Eric White

The Witches played more tightly in the third. They controlled most of the play in the Scarborough end.

“We just decided in the locker room at the end of the second period to not to give up anymore goal. Three is the most we’ve giving up to anybody this year,” said Schwarz.

Ryan Nadeau would score off from his own rebound 2:25 into the third. Steve Farley and Dylan Fitzpatrick got the assists.

“Dylan Fitzpatrick passed it across and I was open for a one timer. I shot it and missed left off the boards. It came back out front and I put it five hole on the goalie,” said Nadeau.

“We made a mistake down low and we had trouble getting out our zone. It seemed like they picked their game in the third. We got a little stagnate and made a few bad passes,” said Gagne.

Dylan Fitzpatrick would add an empty netter with 63 seconds remaining. He fired the puck into the open net from the neutral zone.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply