Maine Hockey Journal

Lewiston holds onto the victory

Lewiston, ME– After two period the Lewiston Maineiacs had a 5-1 lead. By the middle of the third period, their lead dwindled down to one. The Maineiacs were able to hold onto the 5-4 victory.

“I went in the locker room after the game and said it’s a win,” said Maineiacs Head Coach Ed Harding who has been on the wrong side of a one or two game the previous eight games.

Etienne Brodeur who was named the RDS mid-season rookie excellence award winner for the Lewiston Maineiacs earlier in the day; he had two goals and assist to lead the way. Billy Lacasse had a goal and an assist.

“I give Billy and Etienne a lot of credit. They were probably two of our worst players the other day. They weren’t very good in their own zone. I was on them hard the last couple days. They came out roaring ready to go. When those two guys are going, it changes the team,” said Harding.

“The line has been good since the last four or five games. I see Billy (Lacasse) more on the ice and he sees me more, said Maineiacs forward Etienne Brodeur after the game. He was also named the first star of the game.

Danick Paquette and Marc Bourgeois each had two assists. Baie-Comeau had four different goal scorers and Maxime Ouimet had two assists. Adrien Lemay made 21 saves to get his first career win in the QMJHL. Marco Cousineau made 26 saves in the loss.

The Maineiacs had a great when Maxime Gratchev made a great individual play to the net. Just past the five minute mark; Etienne Broduer snapped one past Marco Cousineau. Eric Gelinas and Marc Bourgeois grabbed the assists. At the 7:23 mark, Billy Lacasse found the back of the net for the sixteenth of his season. Bourgeois and Brodeur grabbed the helpers.

The Drakkar finally put some pressure on Adrien Lemay but he was able to turn away the shots that were fired. The game got physical when a Drakkar player knocked down a Maineiac player. No penalties were called but words were exchanged. It all stemmed from Danick Paquette finishing his check next to Baie-Comeau’s bench.

The first penalty was handed down with 1:22 remaining in the stanza when Pierre-Luc Lessard was called for hooking. With 41 seconds remaining, Etienne Brodeur found the back of the net for the second time. Maxime Gratchev and Patrick Cusack picked up the assists.

“I think the first one Brodeur beat him short side. Sometimes the wind comes out of your sail,” said Harding on Marco Cousineau performance. “The first period was tough and think Marco didn’t have his best game,” said Baie-Comeau’s acting head coach Stéphane Hains.

Lewiston had a chance early in the second to get up by four but hit the side of the net. Lemay made a big save when Baie-Comeau had a 3 on 2. Marco Cousineau made a nice stop with 10:40 remaining, but Pierre-Olivier Morin let a wrister go that tallied his ninth of the season. The goal came with 10:23 remaining. Danick Paquette and Billy Lacasse picked up the helpers.

The Drakkar finally got on the board with 6:18 remaining in the second when Felix Petit scored his sixteenth of the campaign. Maxime Ouimet got the lone assist Lewiston answered right back with a goal from Dominic Savoie with Nick Huard and Matt Bourdeau setting the goal up with 6:02 remaining.

The teams exchanged words again. Michael Trudel got the initial hooking call with 3:54 remaining. Pierre-Luc Lessard and Gabriel Bourque got roughing calls. Garrett Clarke and Patrick Cusack also got roughing calls. Lemay made a spectacular save at the end of the period.

Lewiston would go on the powerplay when Jonathan Parisien was called for interference at the 1:52 mark. Baie-Comeau would get a shorthanded tally when Tommy Samson let a snap shot go from the slot. The goal came at the 2:40 mark. Baie Comeau would get within two at the 4:28 mark. Stéphane Michaud would get credit with the goal. Maxime Ouimetadded his second assist of the game. Filip Janosik rang one off the crossbar. He had Marco Cousineau beat but just lifted the puck a tad to high.

The Drakkar continued to chip away at the Lewiston lead. Mike Villeneuve found the back at the 8:30 into the third frame. No assists were giving out on the goal. Etienne Brodeur and Jonathan Parisien each got roughing calls with 10:11 remaining in the game.

“The first two periods they bought into the systems. They held themselves accountable and know what it takes for us to win a hockey games. That’s what we did. In the third period, we tried to be a little to fancy and got away from our character,” said Harding.

The Maineiacs crashed the net but weren’t able to light the lamp. Baie-Comeau had some chances off of turnovers but Lemay held the fort. Lewiston had an open net with 3:50 remaining but just slid it wide.

“Like I said to you before, it’s nice to see the other team pull their goalie and have us protect the lead,” said Harding.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply