Maine Hockey Journal

Maine opens 2009 with a win

Portland, Me– The Maine Black Bears returned to the ice for the first time in 2009. They had no problem defeating the United States National Under-18 Team 7-3. Gustav Nyquist had a goal and two assists for the Black Bears. Spencer Abbott had two goals. A.J. Treais had two goals for the Americans. Dave Wilson made 16 saves in the victory. Brandon Maxwell made 29 saves on 36 shots.

Just 2:09 into the contest, Michigan recruit Kevin Lynch found the back of the net. Jerry D’Amigo got the lone assist.

“I thought they (NTDP) got out of the gate great and got a goal. I thought they maintained pressure the first couple of shifts and caught us sleeping a little. They deserved the goal for sure,” said Maine Black Bears Head Coach Tim Whitehead.

36 seconds later, David Valek went to the sin bin. At the 2:55 mark Tanner House got a powerplay goal with Gustav Nyquist and Bryan Flynn getting the assists.

“The first period was slower then what we are use to. The ice wasn’t all that well in the first. As the game went on we got use to it,” said Maine forward. Spencer Abbott.

With 14:20 remaining Brandan Rempel went off for holding. With 8:56 left in the stanza, Rempel got called for cross checking. With 2:24 remaining, Spencer Abbott snuck one past Brandon Maxwell. Theo Andersson and Kyle Solomon got the assists.

1:46 into the second stanza, Gustav Nyquist made Maxwell commit early and he went top shelf. Bryan Flynn and Tanner House got the assists.

“I just faked the shot and went around him. Then he went down,” said Maine forward Gustav Nyquist who was also named the first star.

At the 8:12 mark, Bryan Flynn found the back of the cage. Nyquist and Windham native Matt Duff picked up the helpers.

With 1:48 remaining, Bangor native, Nick Payson picked off Brandon Maxwell and fired a shot that trickled past Maxwell.

“We had great traffic in front of the net, so it’s hard for goalies to see the puck,” said Nyquist on Maxwell’s performance.

Team USA would get back into the contest 42 seconds into the third when A.J. Treais slid one home on the back hand. Chris McCarthy got the lone assist. A.J. Treais would get his second of the game when he found space between Dave Wilson and the top corner. Jerry D’Amigo set the goal up.

With 9:02 remaining in the contest, Kevin Swallow made it 6-3 with Will O’Neil getting the assist. Spencer Abbott made it 7-3 with 3:49 remaining. Matt Duffy got the lone helper.

Josh Seeley, Maine’s third goaltender saw the last 3:49 of the game as he replaced Dave Wilson.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply