Maine Hockey Journal

Special teams were the difference

Moncton, NB– Last night the penalty kill did its job as they killed all eight penalties. Tonight Moncton’s powerplay was too much as they scored twice on the powerplay. Both goals came in the first period. The Wildcats held onto the 3-2 victory over the Lewiston. Simon Jodoin and Denis Savard each had two powerplay points. Nicola Riopel made 35 saves. Etienne Brodeur had two goals in the loss. Peter Delmas made 30 saves in the loss.

Dany Coloumbe shot the puck over the glass and was called for a delay of game at the 44 mark. 49 seconds later, Simon Jodoin got the powerplay tally. David Savard and Ted Stephens set the goal up. Etienne Brodeur would go to the sin bin just over the 2:10 mark. The Wildcats would capitalize when Scott Brannon found the back of the net 3:57 into match. Simon Jodoin and David Savard picked up the assists.

Lewiston would go on the powerplay when Pierre-Marc Lessard went off with 13:59 in the opening third of the game. Zach Sill had a shorthanded chance. The Wildcats killed off the penalty. Randy Cameron got drilled by the benches. A crowd formed in front of Lewiston’s bench. Marc Bourgeois and Lessard got separate penalties with 10:11 remaining.

With 1:10 remaining in the first, Ted Stephens got called for a minor. Lewiston couldn’t get on the scoreboard before the 20 minute mark. The penalty carried over into the second.

The Maineiacs couldn’t convert on their second powerplay chance of the game. The Wildcats had a chance shortly after as the puck trickled wide. Nicola Riopel tried to clear the puck but he put it on the tape of Brodeur’s stick. Brodeur let a snap shot but Riopel made the save. Lewiston had another chance but Riopel made the save. Moncton had a chance but Michael Ward made a nice poke check.

A scrum broke out in Lewiston’s zone. Danick Paquette and Garrett Clarke went to the sin bin and Scott Brannon went to the sin bin for Moncton. All penalties came at the 7:41 mark. Both teams exchanged chances in the middle of the second frame. Devon MacAusland had the best chance when Matt Eagles stole the puck then fed it to MacAusland. A minute later, Cameron found the back of the net. Lessard picked up the lone assist with 3:24 remaining.

A fight broke out when a Maineiac and a Wildcat player were tangled up. Dominic Savoie and Matt Brown dropped the gloves. Savoie picked up a ten minute misconduct along with picking up the fighting major with 2:59 remaining. Mark Barberio would go off at the 17:33 mark. Lewiston would get on the board 37 seconds later when Max Gratchev fed Etienne Brodeur for his fourth goal of the season. It was a powerplay goal.

The Maineiacs had a chance at the 2:50 mark, there was a scrum in front of Riopel’s net. Brodeur would bring Lewiston within one when he snapped one past Riopel at the 3:48 mark. Coulombe got the only helper. Lewiston continued to add pressure. They thought they tied the game up but the puck didn’t cross the line.

Michael Ward would go off at the 6:28 mark for a minor penalty. Dany Coulombe and Lessard dropped the mitts with 11:48 remaining. Coulombe wrestled Lessard to the ground. Danick Paquette had a chance all alone but the puck bounced off his stick at the last second. Lewiston had their chances but they couldn’t get the equalizer.

Lewiston was 1 for 3 with the man advantage and Moncton was 2 for 4. The three stars were:

Simon Jodoin (Moncton)

Etienne Brodeur (Lewiston)

Zach Sill (Moncton)

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply