Maine Hockey Journal

Lewiston takes the Bishop’s Cup

Lewiston, ME– It was a tight battle between the St. Dom Saints and the Lewiston Blue Devils. Lewiston would lead the entire way as they defeated St. Dom’s to win the Bishop’s Cup at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee. Both coaches looked at this as an exhibition game rather then a regular season game.

“It’s not about that (taking the Bishop’s Cup away from St. Dom’s.), we played St. Dom’s, obviously that’s important, as a team we try to beat everyone whether it’s our rival or not,” said Lewiston’s Head Coach Jamie Belleau

“This one was exhibition, and this one isn’t the one we are looking to win anyways. It was more what the younger players can do tonight,” said St. Dom’s Head Coach Steve Ouellette.

St. Dom’s would go on the powerplay at the 11:38 mark. The Blue Devils would make it 1-0 17 seconds into the penalty kill. Ben Wigant got the shorthanded tally with Devin McLellan getting the helper. St. Dom’s would go down two men in the five minute mark.

“Special teams at the high school level is important, obviously you play a talented team like St. Dom’s if you can capitalize on special teams, its important. It gave us momentum,” said Belleau.

With four seconds left on the second penalty with 3:37 remaining, Robby Leeman found the back of the net to give the Blue Devils the 2-0 lead. Jordan Ropella and Jake Brown got the assists. Lewiston would take a penalty six seconds later. St. Doms would go to the box with 1:19 left.

1:10 into the middle frame, St. Dom’s goes on the powerplay. 5 minutes into the second, St. Doms goes back on the penalty kill. With 6:26 remaining, Cam Brown found the back of the net for the Saints. Casey Parker got the lone assist.

16 seconds later, Zach Racine got the Blue Devils back up two with Leeman getting the lone assist. St. Doms would go on the powerplay with 3:17 left in the stanza.

“Unfortunately we got that goal. We got pretty pumped up. You can’t give up a goal in that first minute after you score like that,” said Ouellette

41 seconds into the third, St. Dom’s goes on the powerplay. With 7:46 left in the contest, St. Dom’s went on the powerplay. With five seconds in the penalty, Ben Wigant almost had his second goal but Josh Charest made the nice glove save. With 3:28 left, Lewiston got back on the powerplay.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply