Maine Hockey Journal

Black Bears claw past Niagara

Orono, ME– The Maine Black Bears got back on track as they defeated the Niagara Purple Eagles 4-2 in a nonconference tilt. The Black Bears were led by Tanner House who had two goals. Swedish freshman, Gustav Nyquist, had a goal and two assists. Chris Hahn got the game winner in the third period and also added an assist. Dave Wilson made 33 saves for the Black Bears. Brian Dowd and Ryan Olidis tallied goals for Niagara.

The Black Bears got something going with 15 minutes remaining in the first period. Gustav Nyquist had a few chances. Maine went on the powerplay at the 4:24 mark when Brian Dowd went off for slashing. It was the Nyquist show as he made some nice moves on the powerplay. Jeff Marshall went to the box for the Black Bears for elbowing at the 7:50 mark. Dowd gave the Purple Eagles the 1-0 lead on the man advantage 9:22 into the match after he batted the puck down. The goal was an unassisted effort. Dave Wilson made the initial stop.

Marshall had a chance to redeem himself with 7:50 remaining but Adam Avaramenko made the stop. Avaramenko lost his stick but the Black Bears couldn’t take advantage of the mistake. Spencer Abbott had an open net but Avaramenko stuck his leg out at the last second to make the stop.

Lem Randall went off with 1:08 left in the stanza. Simon Danis-Pepin picked up a penalty at the 20 minute mark for slashing.

The Black Bears killed off the five on three disadvantage. Bryan Flynn had a chance for the Black Bears when Avaramenko tried to poke the puck forward but misplayed it. Nyquist tied the game with a snap shot at the 1:46 mark. Mike Banwell got the lone assist. Nyquist picked up an assist before his shift was over as he assisted on Tanner House’s powerplay goal that came 55 seconds later. Chris Hahn got the secondary assist.

Maine went on the powerplay when Tyler Gotto went off for slashing. Maine couldn’t convert on the powerplay. They had another man advantage when Chris Moran went to the sin bin for roughing at the 5:56 mark. Robby Dee also went to the penalty box also at the 5:56 into the stanza. Nyquist went to the box for slashing 34 seconds later. Dave Wison made some key saves on the penalty kill.

The penalty box door kept opening as Kyle Solomon sat for two minutes for boarding. Niagara went on their second 5 on 3 powerplay when Brett Carriere took a break for two minutes for tripping 49 seconds later. The penalty kill, killed its second 5 on 3 powerplay of the period.

Niagara tied the game up with 2:55 remaining in the stanza. Ryan Olidis got the goal with Dan Baco and Sam Goodwin getting the helpers. The Purple Eagles had another great opportunity with just under a minute remaining.

The Black Bears had two chances early on in the third period when Abbott had a chance. The puck squirted to Will O’Neil where he threw it on net that almost found the back of the net. Abbott tried to feed the puck to House but couldn’t convert. Maine was buzzing around Niagara’s net but couldn’t light the lamp.

The Purple Panthers had a great chance to regain the lead when a shot almost trickled past Wilson. Chris Hahn got the lead back and the eventual game winner for the Black Bears as he snapped one in at the 6:23 mark in the period. Dave Wilson made a key save halfway through the period as it almost fell off his leg into the net. Tanner House came down the slot and received a pass from Brian Flynn and slapped it home with 6:47 remaining. Nyquist got the secondary assist on the goal.

Nyquist went to the box again with 3:20. Tanner House accompanied him into the sin bin. For the Purple Eagles, Robert Martini and Tyler Gotto were sent to the penalty box. Niagara pulled the goalie but couldn’t close the gap.

Dave Wilson made 33 saves on 35 shots. Adam Avaramenko turned away 18 shots on 22 chances. Maine was 1 for 3 on the powerplay and Niagara was 1 for 6 with the man advantage.

Game two is tomorrow at 7:30pm at the Alfond Arena.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply