Maine Hockey Journal

Quebec rolls past Lewiston

Quebec City, QC– It was a battle of will for the Lewiston Maineiacs and the Quebec Remparts. Both teams were playing their third game in three days and both clubs lost by one goal the night before. The Remparts fed off the home crowd and defeated the Maineiacs 7-1. Dmitri Kugryshev, a Washington Capitals prospect, had a hat trick to lead the Quebec scorers. Kevin Marshall had two assists against his former team. Jonathan Roy got the start and turned away 26 shots. Michael Chaput notched his second goal this season for the Maineiacs.

The Remparts quickly got on the board when rookie Russian import Dmitri Kugryshev snapped one past Peter Delmas 53 seconds into the contest. Kesley Tessier got his seventh assist on the season. Quebec had another chance but Delmas made the sprawling save. Maxime Gratchev went to the box for hitting from behind 3:15 into the game. Just before the penalty call, Matt Bourdeau went down as he was hit by an Eric Gelinas shot.

Mikhail Stefanovich had the Remparts best chance on the powerplay when he put a deke around the Maineiacs’ defense. Delmas made the stop before the puck trickled through his pads. Garrett Clarke got drilled by Mathieu Loisel. Danick Paquette went to the box at the 6:07 mark in defense of his rookie teammate. Lewiston was able to kill the penalty off.

Danick Paquette went to the box for a delay of game with 7:04 to go in the period. Quebec had the puck into the Maineiacs’ zone for most of the powerplay. Billy Lacasse had a breakout in the final few seconds in Paquette penalty. No real opportunity was created. A scrum broke out in Jonathan Roy’s crease. Danick Paquette went to the box for the third time in the stanza. Lewiston did get a powerplay out of it when Tessier and former Maineiac Kevin Marshall went to the box also with 4:31 remaining. No chances were created.

Mikael Tam cross-checked Filip Janosik into the boards with 1:30 left. Billy Lacasse thought he stuffed it in but the referee blew the whistle before the puck crossed the line. Lewiston continued to put the pressure on Roy but he was up to the challenge. Paquette had the best chance to tie the game before the period was over.

Lewiston couldn’t score on the powerplay that carried over from the first period. 1:29 into the period, Michael Chaput let a shot go from the right circle and it trickled past Roy. It was an unassisted effort for the rookie. The Remparts came right back when Mikael Tam let a wrister go between the circles with 16:56 to go. Frédérick Roy and Sébastien Trudeau grabbed the assists.

Maxime Gratchev went the box just before the four minute mark. Danick Paquette went to check a Quebec player but Paquette found himself in his teammate’s laps. Soon after, Kugryshev got his second of the night. Benjamin Breault and Hubert Genest got the helpers on the even strength goal at the 6:47 mark. At the 9:11 mark, Frédérick Roy, Patrick’s other son, made it 4-0 as he slapped one in the open cage. Marshall got one assist and Jonathan Audy-Marchessault got the second helper. It was a powerplay tally when Paquette went to the box.

Phillip Wright relieved Peter Delmas after the fourth goal. Lewiston went on the powerplay when Matt Bourdeau went down after getting hit from behind. Tam went to the box at the 11:12 mark. Lewiston couldn’t get anything going. They went back on the powerplay when Jonathan Audy-Marchessault was called for hooking with 5:28 remaining. The powerplay was more effective but couldn’t light the lamp. The Remparts had a great shorthanded chance and Wright made his first save of the night.

Michael Ward went to the box for interference with 2:47 in the middle frame. Mikhail Stefanovich got his second of the contest when he blasted one from the point. It went past Wright’s glove side. The goal came with 122 second left with Frédérick Roy and Samuel Groulx setting the goal up. Denis Reul went to the sin bin at the 18:36 mark. With 13 seconds left, Benjamin Breault banked it off Wright’s pad from the far corner. Marshall and Trudeau got their second assists on the powerplay goal.

Eric Gelinas let a blast go but Roy was able to cover up the rebound. Breault had a great scoring chance when the puck flew out of the Remparts’ defensive zone. He picked the puck up in the neutral zone. He went all alone on Roy but shot it into Wright’s bread basket. David Gilbert had a great chance but Wright made a save deep in his crease. Michael Ward and Gilbert went off for roughing. Both were matching penalties.

Lewiston went on the powerplay when Marc-Olivier Vallerand drilled Gelinas at the 9:31 mark. Gelinas had to be helped off the ice. The Maineiacs couldn’t get anything going. Quebec had a shorthanded chance but Sean Stagles had to take a hooking penalty in his defensive zone with 8:59 remaining. The Maineiacs killed off the rest of the penalty.

A scrum broke out when Eric Gelinas and Frédérick Roy got together in the Maineiacs’ zone. Paquette came in to throw a punch. Patrick Cusack and Marc-Olivier Vallerand exchanged words. The Remparts went on the powerplay at the 14:41 mark with Gelinas and Cusack in the box. Roy went to the box for the Remparts. They converted on the powerplay as Kugryshev completed the hat trick with 4:10 remaining. Stefanovich and Trudeau picked up the helpers.

Peter Delmas allowed four goals on the 17 shots he faced in the period half he played. Phillip Wright turned aside 12 of the 15 shots he saw. Jonathan Roy continued to lower his numbers as he only allowed one goal on 27 shots. Lewiston was 0 for 7 on the man advantage and Quebec was 4 for 12 on the powerplay. The three stars were:

3. Mathieu Loisel (Quebec)

2. Frédérick Roy (Quebec)

1. Dmitri Kugryshev (Quebec)

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply