Maine Hockey Journal

Clem’s Boys Comeback

Lewiston, Me– Clem Jodoin returned to the Androscoggin Bank Colisee for the first time since the Maineiacs won Game 2 of the 2007 President’s Cup Final. The 7-3 Rimouski Oceanic coming into the game improved to 8-3, as the defeated the Lewiston Maineiacs 3-1. Philippe Cornet tied the contest when Lewiston had the 1-0 lead. He also got the eventual game winner late in the second period. Garrett Clarke recorded his second goal in his young career for the Maineiacs.

Both teams had a chance early on. Rimouski had a two on one but Peter Delmas made a sprawling save. Lewiston’s chance was when a puck came out into the slot and Michael Ward let a blast go. The Maineiacs controlled the play for most of the first half of the period. It took until 10:34 into the contest before Rimouski got a shot off.

Garrett Clarke got the scoring started when the puck found its way into the neutral zone. He had a breakaway and he snapped it past Maxim Gougeon’s glove hand. The goal came at the 13:32 mark. Steeven Jacques got the lone assist. Lewiston had another chance when the puck was in the deep slot but Alexander Beaton shot it wide.

Marc Bourgeois went to the sin bin soon after with 6:33 remaining. Rimouski would find its way into the box when Keven Veilleux went off for high sticking. Danick Paquette would go to the box when the Maineiacs went on the powerplay. Rimouski had their chances. Max Gratchev accompanied Paquette in the penalty box. Paquette had a breakaway when he stepped back out on the ice but couldn’t get much on the shot. He also had a second chance on Gougeon.

After the Maineiacs were able to kill off the rest of Maxime’s Gratchev’s penalty, Philippe Cornet tied the game at 1. He slid it past Delmas past Delmas’ left pad. The goal came 1:48 into the stanza. Keven Veilleux and Gleason Fournier assisted on the tally. Lewiston put some pressure to regain the lead back.

Their best chance when Michael Chaput snapped a shot but it rang the post. The referees went upstairs to review it but it didn’t take them long to confirm it was a no goal. The Maineiacs went on the man advantage at the 7:58 mark when Félix Lefrançois sat for two minutes. They had a plethora of chances but couldn’t convert.

After Dominic Savoie went to the box, Patrice Cormier went to the box 50 seconds left in Savoie’s penalty. The Maineiacs almost fell victim once again with a man down because of an injury. Lucas LaBelle was down for a second after taking a shot in the face. Lewiston was able to touch the puck before Rimouski could do some damage. With 37 seconds left in the period, the Oceanic took the lead with Philippe Cornet getting his second of the stanza. It was a powerplay tally with Michael Ward in the box.

Michael Chaput had the fans almost out of their seats again when he was in front of the crease. The puck went wide. Maineiacs drew a penalty after the whistle. Gleason Fournier took a five minute cross checking call and a game misconduct. After the Oceanic had a shorthanded chance, the Maineiacs couldn’t do much other than dump the puck deep into the zone. Lewiston did have a chance after the five minute powerplay.

Once again the Maineiacs had a golden chance to get the game back to even when Etienne Brodeur crashed the net. The players had their sticks in the air but Maxim Gougeon covered the puck before it crossed the line. The officials didn’t go upstairs to view the replay because a referee had a clear view of the play. Pier-Olivier Morin had a great chance. He waited for Gougeon to commit first but he didn’t. Morin shot it into the chest protector.

Lewiston went on the man advantage with 68 seconds remaining. Rimouski put the game away with 44 seconds in the game when Keven Veilleux shot the puck from his own blue line. It was an unassisted tally.

Peter Delmas made 16 saves on 18 shots. Maxim Gougeon turned away 21 shots. Lewiston was 0 for 6 with the man advantage and the Rimouski Oceanic were 1 for 5 on the powerplay. The three stars were:

3. Philippe Cornet (Rimouski)
2. Garrett Clarke (Lewiston)
1. Maxim Gougeon (Rimouski)

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply