Maine Hockey Journal

Lewiston Bounces Back

Halifax, NS– After getting outscored 11-2 in Cape Breton for the first two games of the road trip, Lewiston took their anger out on the Mooseheads. The goals were abundant in the 7-3 victory over Halifax. Alex Beaton had two goals and an assist to lead the way. Patrick Cusack had three assists. Phillip Wright got his second career victory.

The Maineiacs had a bounce to their step in the first period. Maxime Gratchev had an early scoring chance. Lewiston still found themselves in the penalty box. Etienne Brodeur and Danick Paquette went to the box. Phillip Wright had a solid period.

The offense was clicking. Just after the media timeout, Lewiston was able to strike first for the first time on the road trip. The Maineiacs won the face-off and after the initial shot was stopped by Mathieu Corbeil-Thériault, Billy Lacasse found the back of the net. Assists went to Etienne Brodeur and Marc Bourgeois at 10:40 mark.

Justin Pender would go to the box and the Lewiston would go on a powerplay. Patrick Cusack let a shot go from the blue line and Alexander Beaton tipped the puck home with 1:56 remaining. Michael Ward would get the secondary assist. Beaton returned to the ice after sitting out last night’s game with a bruised shin.

The offense came out in full force in the second. Lucas LaBelle would give the Maineiacs the 3-0 lead on the powerplay. He kept fighting for the puck in the deep slot and finally put the puck home. The goal came at the 3:45 mark. Marc Bourgeois and Patrick Cusack grabbed the assists.

The goals kept coming for Lewiston who came into the game dead last in the goals for category. Alex Beaton would get his second goal as he fired one in from the slot. Maxime Gratchev got the lone assist. The tally came 17 seconds after LaBelle’s goal.

Danick Paquette would knock Mathieu Corbeil-Thériault out of the game with a goal at the 5:41 mark. Eric Gelinas and Alex Beaton grabbed assists. Mark Yetman would replace Mathieu Corbeil-Thériault. He wouldn’t fair any better as he allowed Etienne Brodeur to score his first career goal. Brodeur skated into the Moosehead’s zone and snipe it past Yetman’s glove with 9:21 remaining.

Halifax would finally get on the board with 4:58 remaining in the period. Garrett Clarke went in the box and Alexis Piette got his second goal of the season. Ben MacAskill and Jessyko Bernard grabbed the assists.

Maxime Gratchev would make it 7-1 when he snap one past Yetman who didn’t even flinch. Patrick Cusack would get the only assist on the play at the 3:53 mark of the final stanza.

Halifax answered right back as the Maineiacs defense played too aggressively. Chad Earle got behind Lewiston’s defense and beat Wright on the backhand. The goal came at the 4:36 mark. Justin Pender and Gabriel Desjardins grabbed the assists.

The Mooseheads were alive for the first time in the game. Just before the halfway mark of the period, Travis Randall made it 7-3. Yuri Cheremetiev grabbed the lone helper. Halifax continued to put pressure on the rookie goaltender. They had some great scoring chances but couldn’t convert.

Phillip Wright was solid in his second career start. He turned away 28 of the 31 shots he faced. Mathieu Corbeil-Thériault and Mark Yetman combined to stop 23 of 30 shots. Mathieu Corbeil-Thériault stopped 12 shots and Yetman turned away 11 shots. Lewiston was 3 for 8 with man advantage. The Mooseheads were 1 for 8. The three stars were:

3. Danick Paquette (Lewiston)

2. Maxime Gratchev (Lewiston)

1. Alexander Beaton (Lewiston)

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply